Home

 

The question, "what did they wear?" is frequently a point of contention among living historians, particularly when only partial or incomplete records are available.  As there are few organized units in Texas actively depicting the 1845-1855 period, it is the goal of Co. C, Fifth U.S. Infantry to provide the most accurate impression as current research will permit.  The use of the Mexican War-era uniform of m1847 sky blue jacket and trousers with m1839 dark blue cap by members of the company is based upon the following:

 

 

 

Purpose
History
Weapons & Tactics
Fort Phantom Hill
Camp
Women / laundresses
Scouts
The General Recruiting Service
Resources
Unit Sponsors
Photo Gallery
Events
Links
   
   
  Between 1845 and 1855, the U.S. Army issued two distinct sets of uniform regulations (1847 and 1851), with minor changes coming in 1854.  This did not, however, result in a dramatic change of uniforms over the same ten year period.  General Order No. 31, issued 21 June 1851 specified the following with regards to the old pattern uniform:
   

Commissioned Officers may wear the old pattern uniform until the 1st of January, 1852.

The articles of the old uniform already manufactured for enlisted men will be issued until exhausted, but will be altered, so far as practicable, to correspond with the new pattern.  In no instance will the two different patterns be furnished to troops stationed at the same post.

Freeman’s Inspection of Fort Phantom Hill indicated that “Old Pattern” uniforms were in use by Co. C of the Fifth Infantry as late as August 1853.  Consequently, uniforms by the “Fort Phantom Hill Garrison” are based upon the standards outlined in the “Regulations and Notes for the Uniform of the Army of the United Stated, 1847,” and conform in style to those worn by the U.S. Army throughout the Mexican War.

   

   
     
 
An Educational Initiative of the McMurry University Public History Program.