|Fort Phantom Hill||
The rank and file of Co. C, Fifth Infantry is armed with the m1842 .69 caliber smoothbore Springfield musket. They are also issued a 16-inch triangular socket bayonet with locking ring. These weapons were not great innovations, as neither the musket nor the bayonet were significantly different from those developed 100 years before. The m1842 musket was simply the older m1835 flintlock musket with the recently-adopted fulminate of mercury percussion cap replacing the older, less reliable ignition system. Production of the m1842 musket began at Springfield Armory in 1844 and at Harper’s Ferry, Virginia Armory in 1845. With the addition of the percussion system, the muzzleloading smoothbore reached the epitome of its efficiency as the m1842 musket.
The company is trained in the infantry drill designed by Major General Winfield Scott in the years immediately following the War of 1812. Serving as the presiding officer of a board tasked with developing an American system of military drill and discipline, Scott borrowed heavily from the French Reglement in developing a system of deployment and maneuver that would be used by the U.S. Army from its first publication in 1815 through the Civil War. Throughout the entire period in question, the tactical system remained essentially the same, the greatest change being the addition of a supplement in 1844 to accommodate the introduction of the m1842 percussion musket in place of the older flintlock. Links to on-line versions of Scott's Infantry Tactics, as well as the supplement for use with percussion arms, are provided in our Resources page.
|Women / laundresses|
|The General Recruiting Service|
An Educational Initiative of the McMurry University Public History Program.