FAQ's of Parents:

  1. Why do parents not receive a copy of mid-term and final grades?

  2. All grades are mailed to the students at the conclusion of each semester.  Grade mailers are mailed to the grade address provided by each student at the beginning of each semester, or to the student's permanent address if no grade address is given.  Mid-term grades are mailed to all freshmen and any undergraduate with the grade of "C" or below in any of their classes.  Parents can receive a copy of the grades if the student signs a form granting permission for the University to do so.   Without this permission,  the University must comply with the "Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act" and release grades only to the student.
  3. My daughter earned exceptional grades in high school. Why is she struggling now in college?

  4. The transition to college is difficult even for the best of students. The work is more demanding, the material is more complex and the competition is keen. Grading standards in college can be more rigid than in high school. Usually, after one or possibly two semesters, students have a sense of their strengths and interests and can begin to focus on areas of study in which they have the greatest chance of success. They also understand the demands of a college curriculum better and can thus organize their time and reshape their study habits in ways that will lead to academic success.  For more information on study skills and time management, contact Rachael Bein (793-4621).
  5. My son started college as a pre-med major. However, his GPA is not as high as it needs to be for admission into Medical School.  Should he continue with pre-med or pursue a different course of study?

  6. Typically, a student needs to have at least a 3.6 grade average in the science courses in order to be accepted into Medical School. This is  fairly standard for most medical schools. If the 3.6 GPA does not seem to be obtainable but the student has a strong interest in the health sciences, there are many options to pursue other than medical school. To explore possibilities, the student should meet with a counselor at Counseling and Career Services (793-4880), or talk to the Director of Academic Advising, (793-3813).
  7. My daughter came to McMurry to study pre-med but now as a second semester freshman has changed her mind. She doesn't know what she wants to study. She does not seem interested in the health sciences any longer. Should she stay at McMurry?

  8. McMurry can offer a tremendous education in seven baccalaureate degrees:  Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Music, and Bachelor of Music Education.  McMurry offers opportunities in liberal arts education preparatory to careers or graduate work in such fields as business administration, the Christian ministry, education, law, medicine, science and social welfare. A student should meet with their academic advisor and/or a counselor from Counseling and Career Services (793-4880) to explore the possibilities at McMurry that interest her. If McMurry does not offer the major of interest, the Counseling and Career Center counselor can refer the student to universities that do offer the major.
  9. The financial status of our family changed during the school year.  Is it possible to receive additional financial aid once the school year has started?

  10. If your family's financial status changes during the year, contact the Financial Aid Office to explore sources of aid that might be available to you.
  11. How can my daughter obtain job-related experience towards a career?

  12. Counseling and Career and Services has information about a variety of internships available in the Abilene area. In addition, the counselors can arrange for a student to "shadow" a professional working in the student's area of interest.
  13. How can my son discover ways to become involved in campus life?

  14. The Student Activities Office (793-4801) located in the Campus Center has information on all of McMurry's student clubs and organizations. In addition, students can find out about concerts and social activities through this office. For service opportunities and  leadership programs, contact the Servant Leadership Office (793-4999).
  15. What if my son or daughter experiences roommate problems?

  16. The Residence Hall staff works directly with students to resolve roommate difficulties. If changing roommates becomes the only resolution, this can be arranged. For Residence Hall concerns, contact Kirsten Anderson (793-6251).
  17. Can a course grade be appealed?

  18. Yes. The appeal process may involve the following steps (the issue may be resolved at any level):
           1. The student confers with the instructor involved.
           2. The student and instructor (preferably together) confer with the
                chairperson of the department.
           3. The student and instructor (preferably together) confer with the Dean.
           4. If still unresolved, the student may initiate a formal written appeal to
               the Dean. Normally, the appeal is forwarded to the appropriate
               committee for its review and recommendation. A formal written
               grade appeal may be made no later than 30 days of the release
               of grades by the Registrar's Office for the semester in question.
    For more details see the Grade Appeals section of the McMurry University Catalog or contact the Registrars Office at 793-3888.
  19. Can a student take a leave of absence from McMurry and return without penalty?

  20. Typically a student who takes a leave of absence for more than a semester will need to re-apply at the new tuition rate.  Scholarships could be affected.  For more information contact the Financial Aid Office.
  21. Can a student earn an academic scholarship after the freshman year based on outstanding academic performance?

  22. Possibly. Please contact the Financial Aid Office (793-4713) for more information.