Admission to Teacher Education Program
Criteria for Admission
- Overall GPA of 2.75.
- Evidence of having a score of 230 on the math section, 240 on the writing section, 250 on the reading section of the THEA test.
- Evidence of freedom from serious mental and personality defects or physical handicaps which would seriously impede effectiveness in the classroom or employment as a classroom teacher. The Teacher Education Committee may request that the student, at his or her own expense, take a physical examination and or additional psychological tests or inventories.
- Successful completion of freshman English coursework, Mathematics 1311 or higher, and Communication 1310.
- Departmental approval of applicant's competency in the academic areas he or she is presenting as teaching fields.
- Successful completion of Introduction to Education, C & I 2310.
NOTE: Requirements for admission to the Teacher Education Program which are in effect at the time the teacher candidate is admitted to the program shall be adhered to unless specifically relieved in individual cases by three-fourths' majority of the Teacher Education Committee at the time admission to the program is considered. Any such policies as may differ from those cited herein shall be communicated in writing as a part of the application form(s).
Students should apply for admission to the Teacher Education Program while they are enrolled in C&I 2110, Introduction to Education. The application is made in writing and submitted to the Chairperson of the Teacher Education Committee. Transfer students should delay such application until they have completed one semester of work in residence at McMurry. Admission to the Teacher Education Program is a prerequisite for enrollment in all other C&I courses. All sections of the THEA must be passed before any education courses are taken, unless special permission is granted by the Curriculum and Instruction Department Chairperson.
The Teacher Education Committee will review the student's application and inform him/her of the action taken by committee. One of the following actions will be taken:
- Admission to the program. Students are eligible to enroll in Professional Education courses.
- Conditional admission to the program. A student admitted on a conditional basis must complete at least one additional semester or two consecutive summer terms before making request for a review. Full admission to the program will be granted if the chairperson determines that previous conditions have been satisfied. Students will be notified in writing of their full admission. Students who fail to satisfy conditions within one semester of their original application must reapply for admission to the program.
- Denial of admission to the program. Students who are denied admission to the program are precluded from enrolling in Professional Education courses. Upon request, a student who has been denied admission to the program may be permitted to appear before the Teacher Education Committee to appeal denial.
The applicant should understand that admission to the Teacher Education Program does not constitute assurance of certification.