General Veteran Affairs Information: McMurry University is approved to offer assistance to those students using the benefits of the Veterans Administration for educational purposes. All students using these benefits must contact the Veterans Certifying Official on the Campus of McMurry University in the Maedgen building room #105. All appropriate documentation must be provided before the end of the first semester of attendance at McMurry University to continue using educational benefits from Veterans Affairs.
Montgomery GI BILL: There are several chapters of the GI BILL, and the chapters are as follows:
• Chapter 30 Montgomery GI BILL
• Chapter 35 Dependents
• Chapter 1606 Reservists
• Chapter 1607 Reservists who has been on active duty at least 90 days
POST 9/11 GI BILL: Effective August 1, 2009.
• Chapter 33
General Rules: To be followed by all GI BILL recipients. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your educational benefits please contact Karen Freeland 325.793.3813.
• Students of chapter(s) 30, 33, and 35 have to apply to use their benefits with Veterans affairs using the VONAP system on-line.
• Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607 have to verify enrollment with Veterans Affairs at the end of each month. This can be done from the GI Bill web site, or via phone 1-888-442-4551. Chapter 33 and 35 is excluded from this requirement.
• VA Certification with McMurry can be done from this web page after pre-registration, or at the beginning of each semester. The student will only be certified for classes which pertain to the degree plan.
Documentation: for Chapter 33 only. "Letter of eligibility," or similar document, must be submitted to the VA Certifying Official before the first certification to receive educational benefits.
All students, receiving VA benefits, must provide the following documentation before the end of the first semester at McMurry University.
• Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended prior to McMurry
• DD Form 214 (for all non-active military duty students)
• High School Transcript (for some students only)
Vocational Rehabilitation: also know as Chapter 31, covers non-active duty military personnel, who has sustained some form of disability during the time serving in the US Armed Forces. A student falling under this chapter of Veterans benefits will first have to contact Melvin Rand, who works for the Department of Veterans Affairs. The student can email Mr. Rand or call him at 325-677-1766. Once the student has been approved to receive Chapter 31 benefits, contact Karen Freeland to set up an appointment to receive the initial Degree Plan. Mrs. Herfurth can be reached at 325-793-3813. The degree plan is then taken to Mr. Rand, and when he has approved that degree plan, the student can enroll in classes at McMurry University.
Certification for Chapter 31: VA Certification can be done on-line for each semester the student wishes to receive benefits. The student will only be certified for classes which pertain to the degree plan. For further information please contact Karen Freeland.
Documentation: Same as for all chapters. See "Documentation for GI BILL" above.
• GI Bil Web Page
• DD Form 22-1990
• DD Form 22-5490
• VA Certification